Monday, March 30, 2009

Shunt Recalled

Here is the letter we received in the mail:

Dear Parent:
As we are sure you know, ventriculoperitoneal shunt devices can malfunction, and if they do, surgery is often required to repair them. Unfortunately, this is more common than any of us would like.
Recently we have seen seven instances where the shunt tube in the brain (ventricular catheter) has become disconnected from the rest of the shunt. We have only seen this with the BioGlide catheter.
The manufacturer of BioGlide, Medtronic, has recently issued a voluntary recall of all BioGlide ventricular catheters. This means that BioGlide catheters will no longer be used, and the hospital supply of BioGlide catheters will be sent back to Medtronic. The company is not recommending any action in situations where the BioGlide catheter is currently in use by a patient.

Your child has a BioGlide catheter in place, the neurosurgeons and staff feel that you should be aware of this issue, but they feel that the risk of a problem because of this new issue appears very low. The neurosurgeons are not recommending that these ventricular catheters be removed or changed. If you have concerns, however, the hospital staff would be happy to arrange for a CT scan to check the shunt and the ventricles, without a cost to you.

Isn't this nice, as if we don't have enough to worry about. How does a shunt get recalled, especially the one that is lodged in my baby's brain? I wish I may I wish I might, wish that there will be an alternative to our shunt someday!

5 comments:

One Big Happy Family In Utah said...

We received the same letter and I swear I gasped so loud you would have thought we had a major catastrophe (like failure already)!

I've noticed we've been especially aware of everything now times 10 with his head and that little bump. The thought of another failed shunt so soon (we've only gone 18 months with this one) and with a cranial reconstruction on the horizon due to the last one ... but perhaps this will all be for good. Cross your fingers for both of us!

Anonymous said...

I will be praying for you guys . My son has just turned 19 years old an went threw a shunt infection 3-6-09 Now he made the decision to do new procedure ETV done with success -an has no more shunt. He had 4 revisins due to malfunctions = since 4 months of age. Hope your child will have good success with shunt. From NYC

Mommy Darnell said...

oh no. My son has a shunt but I am not sure of the brand. I need to find out.

E.J. said...

I've just found this post (and this blog), so pardon the lateness.

When my own shunt disconnected (the bottom part of it broke due to pressure from the collarbone), I think it might have been the best thing that happened to my family. I was 11 years old and a CT discovered that, despite the disconnection, my ventricles were draining on their own. I'm now 30 and still have the non-functioning shunt, but we haven't had to stress about malfunctions in nearly 20 years.

My experience isn't very common in itself, but the point is this: Life with hydrocephalus is highly unpredictable, but you guys have done (and will continue to do) a great job - in spite of the bumps in the road along the way.

My best to you and your little one!

Anonymous said...

Would be wonderful if there could be an alternative to a shunt someday soon. I too wish this for my daughter.